EKUI: For a world without communication barriers
Access to education and rehabilitation goods and services
Universal right to learning
A universal and accessible language for everyone
Changing the world into a place where everyone belongs
What is EKUI
EKUI is a line of playful and didactic material for a more inclusive communication, without barriers. As such, EKUI was designed to develop:
- language and communication
- psychomotor skills
- critical thinking
- social and emotional intelligence
- imagination and creativity
The Story of EKUI by its creator, Celmira Macedo:
“The idea of the EKUI came to me in 2003 when I was teaching special education classes to students with autism and cognitive limitations. At the time, I realized that children were able to identify the letters of the Portuguese alphabet a lot easier if I associated them with a sign of the Portuguese sign language.
It became clear to me that we were lacking a didactic material which allowed children to learn and communicate in an equitable manner, a basic right of every citizen.
It has been a rewarding journey: today, thousands of children are learning to read with the EKUI methodology and I believe this is just the beginning of a big change. The change into a more inclusive world where equality starts when we exercise our right of communication and a universal language.”
Temos à sua disposição:
1. Awareness raising action “EKUI: literacy and inclusive rehabilitation” (1 hour)*:
- EKUI e a alfabetização
- EKUI and literacy
- EKUI and accessible communication
- EKUI and dyslexia
- EKUI and learning difficulties
- EKUI and Autism
- EKUI and speech difficulties
- EKUI and Inclusive School
- EKUI and Childhood Education
- EKUI and mathematics
- EKUI and active citizenship
* Training with practical strategies for parents and technicians (teachers and therapists).
2. Short-term Training Action “EKUI – Methodology of Inclusive Literacy and Accessible Communication ” (3 hours). Accredited for teachers of all Recruitment Groups.
3. Training Session of 25 hours “EKUI – Methodology of Inclusive Literacy and Accessible Communication”
(= 1 credit) with registration of accreditation CCPFC / ACC-85158/15 for teachers of all Recruitment Groups.
Do you want to implement EKUI in your class? See the benefits:
1. We carry out screenings for children and young people.
2. We do follow-up sessions in the classes (mentoring).
3. We have at your disposal a team of speech therapists, sign language interpreters and braille teachers.
4. We perform galas where you can be awarded the “Professor EKUIzador of the Year” award (Gala EKUI).
5. Become a teacher/researcher and participate with us in impact studies with universities.
The EKUI Alphabet is a didactic and inclusive material with a literacy strategy for all. A single card for people with different needs and motivations designed to work:
- the visual and sequential memory
- the auditory discrimination
- the figure-ground discrimination
- the phonetic and language skills
- the citizenship skills
The EKUI Alphabet box contains:
- 26 cards with the letters of the alphabet. Each card has the letter:
- handwritten and with the respective grapheme
- in visual and tactile Braille
- in Portuguese Sign Language
- in international phonetic alphabet
A digital application for smartphones,
tablets and PCs with:
- Video phonetic alphabet
- Video LGP Alphabet
- 1 interactive game
A KIT with material for teachers and therapists:
- 1 EKUI Alphabet Box
- EKUI letters A4 alphabet
- Tables with alphabet with 4 readings